This is a fun and easy apple pie cupcake recipe using cinnamon roll dough, fresh apples and cinnamon. These cupcakes are made with store-bought cinnamon rolls that have been flattened into discs and placed into cupcake cups. Then, we fill them with sautéed apples and top with a streusel topping. When chopping your apples, it can be helpful to spritz them with a little lemon juice (teaspoon or so). This way, they will not brown or discolor.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced in to 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Juice of half lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 can (12.4 oz) Pillsbury refrigerated cinnamon rolls
- whipped cream
- caramel-flavored syrup
- Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray 8 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add apples; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons brown sugar, the cinnamon and salt. Cook 5 minutes longer or until tender. Stir in lemon juice.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”