The Simpsons is the longest running show on American primetime TV. It still has a massive following after 27 seasons, but there are still quite a few facts that die-hard fans are not aware of. The following facts were compiled from IMDB, imgur, and a NME blog.
3. A nude portrait of Marge Simpson was featured in Playboy in celebration of The Simpsons’ 20th anniversary, issue released 16 October 2009.
4. The Simpsons have visited all continents including Antarctica.
5. In the opening credits, the cash register shows $847.63 when Maggie is “scanned.” This figure was taken from a survey (found by Matt Groening) done at the time that said that this was the average monthly cost of caring for a newborn baby – food, clothes, medicine, etc. But during The Simpsons: The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase (1997) (hosted by Troy McClure) the credit sequence is paused and the machine is shown to read “NRA 4EVER”.
6. Springfield is 678 miles from Mexico City and 2,653 miles away from Orlando, Florida. However, both cannot be true.
7. The creators jokingly insist that they have parodied Citizen Kane (1941) so much that one could recreate the entire film solely from Simpsons clips. They also have made the same claim about The Godfather (1972) and The Godfather: Part II (1974).
8. Some of the store and place names around Springfield include:
-Gun Shop: Blood Bath and Beyond
-Air conditioner store: It Blows
-Toy Store: J.R.R. Toykins (J.R.R. Tolkien)
-Toy Store in Chinatown: Toys “L” Us
-Hair Stylist: Turn Your Head and Coif
9. Many of the characters are named after major streets in Portland, Oregon, where creator Matt Groening grew up. Examples: Flanders, Lovejoy, Terwilliger, Kearney. As well, the main characters are named after Matt Groening’s family and relatives, including Homer, Marge, Lisa, and Maggie, which are the real names of his parents and younger sisters.
10. The character “Krusty the Clown” was inspired by a real-life TV kiddie show host named ‘Rusty Nails’ and Dan Castellaneta’s voice characterization was based on Chicago television legend Bob Bell who portrayed WGN-TV’s Bozo from 1960-1984.
11. Lenny and Carl both have master’s degrees in Nuclear Physics.
12. Milhouse Van Houten has been cursed with a nefarious name. “Milhous” was Richard Nixon’s middle name (spelled differently in the show) and Leslie Van Houten was a member of the Charles Manson family. She was one of the people convicted in the LaBianca murders. His middle name, “Mussolini”, references Italian fascist dictator Benito Mussolini.
13. As a ‘Technical Supervisor’ and the appointed safety inspector, Homer makes less than $25,000 a year.
14. To promote “The Simpsons Movie” American convenience store 7-Eleven transformed some of its shops into Kwik-E-Marts, selling Simpsons merchandise such as Buzz Cola, Squishees and Krusty-O cereal.
15. Springfield’s Zip code is 80085. In the episode “Moe Letter Blues” (2010), Moe states that he moved to Springfield because the Zip Code spells the word “BOOBS”. The US Postal Service website reports that there is no Zip Code 80085. However, the reverse (58008) which would spell “BOOBS” if turned upside down, happens to be the Zip Code of the tiny town of Barney, North Dakota. If the Zip code 80085 did exist, it would be located somewhere in the state of Colorado. All the actual Zip codes from 80001 through 80049 are in Colorado with Zips 80050-80099 are not in use.
16. The episode “Bart Gets an Elephant” (1994) was based on a real ‘Price is Right’ incident from 1965.
17. Three of The Beatles have appeared on the show – George Harrison (Homer’s Barbershop Quartet), Ringo Starr (Brush With Greatness) and Paul McCartney (Lisa the Vegetarian). There is an episode dedicated to the memory of George Harrison. John Lennon died long before the show premiered, however, his song ‘Mother’ was used in an episode, meaning all four Beatles’ voices have appeared on the show in some shape or form.
18. Series creator Matt Groening sketched out the original drawings for the Simpson Family in a matter of minutes while sitting outside producer James L. Brooks’ office. The idea was that each family member had to be instantly recognizable by his or her silhouette.
19. In The Simpsons, God and Jesus are the only characters ever depicted with all five fingers on each hand.
20. Homer’s annoyed grunt, “D’oh!” has been added to the Oxford English Dictionary, considered to be the ultimate authority on the English language.
If you know someone who might like this, please click “Share!”